Stress Free Cleaning Tips - Holiday Edition
Each year, the holiday season brings a flurry of hosting, entertaining and a revolving door of guests. From hosting a houseful of out-of-town relatives to formal sit-down dinners to impromptu get-togethers, chances are your schedule — and your home — is brimming with activity. After a very unique 2019 and 2020 holiday season, it is so exciting that we can gear up to celebrate the holidays a little closer to “normal” this year.
With all the extra foot traffic and activity can also come stress. Stress from shopping and decorating is expected, but what about holiday stress related to cleaning? Fortunately, with a little prep work and proactive thinking, you can make your holidays and your home shine all season long. From the moment you greet your guests at the door to the time they leave, not only will they feel comfortable and cozy in your clean house, you'll even be impressed by how you got it going on this holiday season! Here are a few tips to keep your home ready for holiday joy.
Stress Free Cleaning Tips for the Holidays
1. Write down all your events in a calendar. Include both the events that will be hosted at your home and the events you will be attending. If you know exactly when you need to clean, you'll have plenty of time to prepare.
2. Take a small inventory of what cleaning supplies you have in your home and purchase anything that you don't have to keep on hand.
3. Don't procrastinate. You don't have to tackle the whole in one shot to get the job done. Clean your home in little blocks of time over a few days to spread out the workload and make it more manageable.
4. Declutter your home before you begin doing any heavy duty cleaning. If you can't find a place to put something away, create a holiday storage area in a spare closet that can be used until the holidays are over. Getting rid of clutter won't only make cleaning your house easier, but it will make your house look a hundred times more organized and welcoming.
5. Scrub your entryway. Wipe down your front door, give the doormat a good shake, and make sure dust and dirt haven't collected on floors and furniture legs. These are the first things guests will see when they arrive, so keeping them clean will guarantee a good first impression.
6. Give your sofa a once-over. The sofa is the centerpiece of the living room or family room, which means it could probably use a little sprucing up. It is likely one of the two main spaces used for entertaining, so you want to give a great first impression.
7. Focus on the Kitchen. The kitchen is a frequent gathering place during parties. Everyone loves food. So do yourself a favor and focus on the kitchen. Start out with your normal kitchen tasks and then kick it up a notch. Make sure to clean the inside of both your stove and refrigerator. Don’t forget to pour some dish soap into your garbage disposal and run it for thirty seconds to get rid of any lingering smells. De-clutter the counters, take out those serving trays and light up a nice candle to set the mood.
8. Make it fun. I may sound crazy that cleaning could be fun, but in-fact, with the right elements, it can turn into a party for the whole family. Turn it to your favorite Christmas station and get the whole family involved. It’s a fun way to spend time together and get the job done with more hands on board.
Hopefully these stress free cleaning tips have given you a great place to start. But mostly, we hope that you enjoy getting holiday ready and create memories that will last you a lifetime. Remember, don’t stress the cleaning as it’s the people, not the place that counts. Most importantly, enjoy this holiday season and your loved ones.